When might I need an advocate?

Everyone’s needs are different, so identifying the times when you need an advocate can vary. It may be when you are:

  • Feeling pressured to make a choice
  • Not satisfied with the care you are receiving
  • Not satisfied with decisions made about you
  • Wanting information regarding accessing services or additional support

Is your service confidential?

Yes, Elder Rights Advocacy is a confidential service. ERA advocates work at your direction to help support your wishes and exercise your rights. An ERA advocate will seek your permission before engaging with any other parties to ensure your confidentiality is maintained.

I am living in a Nursing Home and I would like to know my rights.

The Australian Government’s Department of Health Charter of Residents Rights and Responsibilities says that every resident of a residential care service has the right:

  • To complain and to take action to resolve disputes;
  • To be free from reprisal, or a well-founded fear of reprisal, in any form for taking action to enforce his or her rights.

All facilities should have a complaints procedure in place to deal with any issues or concerns you may have without fear of retribution.


I am living in my own home and I would like to raise a concern I have regarding the community care service I receive. What rights do I have?

You have a right to be looked after properly, treated well and given high-quality care and services. To make sure you get the best care, all service providers have responsibilities and must meet certain standards. See Charter of Rights and Responsibilities for Community Care for further information.

For further information, visit MyAgedCare website.